Saturday, June 11, 2005

What to do in case of an auto accident

One of my friends just had an auto accident. A strong will man as he is, he still blames himself for not handling the situation well. Showing my sympathy to him, I know I need to be prepared for a unfortunate situation.

From now on, I am going to keep my insurance company's claim service card, a disposable camera, and a list of what to do in my vehicle.

In case of an accident, I will:

  1. Try to move my vehicle out of the flow of traffic if possible.

  2. Determine if anyone is injured, call 911 immediately and report any injuries.

  3. Took pictures of the scene. Write an account of what happened: time of day, weather, hazards, road conditions and driving speed. Draw a picture of the site if no camera is available, showing stop signs, signal lights, etc. Try to measure skid marks and determine the point of impact. Note any damage already on other cars involved.

  4. Call police, but I know that they may not come unless someone is seriously injured or there is damage to public property.

  5. If police officers do come, write down the names and badge numbers of the police officers and ask how to obtain a copy of the police report.

  6. Exchange information with the other people involved in the accident.
    Information about the other people's car.
    Car's year:
    Make:
    Model:
    License plate number:

    Information about the other people.
    Name:
    Name of car's owner if different from driver:
    Address:
    Telephone number:
    Driver's license number:

    The other people's insurance information.
    Name of the company:
    The policy number:
    The extent of coverage:
    The name of the agent:

    Witness's information.
    Name:
    Address:
    Telephone number:

  7. File a report of the accident with DMV if the accident involves more than $500 of property damage or any personal injuries.

  8. If injured, Seek medical attention immediately.
Notes:

I won't admit fault. Turn the facts over to the insurance company and let them decide who is liable for payment.

I won't discuss specifics of the accident with others involved. If there is a dispute over who is at fault, further discussion may just muddy the waters. Also avoid telling others how much insurance I carry.

References:
  1. Metlife.com
  2. 4insurance.com
  3. www.studentlegal.ucla.edu

1 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually the police would come, even for small accidents, as is the case with my wife's experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home