Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The next big earthquake in bay area may come soon !!!

Just as I was leaving the company today, I felt a little dizzy. Then I noticed that window blinds are shaking and rattling. Nah... We are having another earthquake. I already experienced 5 earthquakes since I came to bay area in 2000. Nothing new to me.

I heard before that a big earthquake in bay area may happen in the next 30 years. That doesn't concern me too much cause I thought it is just another mystery without reliable sources.

My finding on internet really surprises me. It is actually stated in a 2003 scientific report by U.S. Geological Survey.

"Scientists conclude that there is a 62% probability of at least one magnitude 6.7 or greater quake, capable of causing widespread damage, striking the San Francisco Bay region before 2032."

"A repeat of the 1906 magnitude 7.9 earthquake, the worst case scenario for the Bay Area, is estimated to result in about 5800 fatalities if it strikes during working hours."

Also looks like I should work at home as much as possible, cause the commercial building are much vulnerable than residential units. The loss of life is predicted to be 5 times higher if an earthquake occurs in the early afternoon when people are working in commercial buildings.

Having seen that, I have to know how to prepare for it. The USGS website provides a fairly simple guidance. Drop, cover, and hold on! National Disaster Education Coalition produces a detailed version here. Also a interesting dispute on this topic from American Red cross can be found here .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home